*Please note that nominations for our 2019 award will open in June-July 2018.
** All documents for our 2019 award will be uploaded soon.
Are you THE ONE?
This Award is intended to recognize an individual whose extraordinary service activities exemplify the Rotary ideal of Service Above Self.
We are looking for a caring individual who truly puts Service Above Self and;
- Gives totally to the cause
- Dedicates his/her daily life to the improvement of mankind
- Advocates for humanity
- Works for the highest standard of good
- Acts with compassion and kindness
- Can come from any part of the world, regardless of gender or ethnic background.
- The winner of THE ONE 2018 will receive US$100,000 that will go towards the winner’s humanitarian efforts
- The two runners-ups will each receive US$50,000 that will go towards their humanitarian efforts.
- The Rotary Club that nominates the winner will receive US$5,000 to support their service projects.
- Candidates must have provided outstanding and remarkable services to mankind;
- Candidates must have demonstrated daily dedication and continued devotion to humanitarian efforts; and
- Candidates must have promoted integrity and advanced world understanding, goodwill and peace through their humanitarian efforts.
- Candidates must be an individual aged 18 or above. There is no limitation as to sex, race and nationality.
- Candidates cannot be *Rotarians, employees of a club, district or other Rotary entity or of Rotary International. Spouses, lineal descendants, and ancestors of persons in the foregoing categories are also ineligible.
* This rule also applies for any Ex-Rotarian who has left Rotary for less than three years.
- The award will not be presented posthumously.
- Any candidate previously awarded a cash prize by THE ONE organising committee will not be eligible to apply again; all others are welcome to apply more than once.
- A candidate belonging to an NGO that has previously received a cash prize from THE ONE will not be eligible to apply.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CANDIDATES, FINALISTS AND WINNER
- THE ONE organising committee reserves the right to use all materials submitted by candidates including photos and videos for promotional materials.
- The 3 finalists (including the winner) are required to attend THE ONE Award Gala Dinner in May, 2018 in Hong Kong and should be responsible for their own personal health and wellbeing during their whole visit to Hong Kong and back.
- The 3 finalists (including the winner) must be available for promotion and interviews. They are responsible to keep THE ONE award organising committee updated as required.
- THE ONE award organising committee reserves the right to request interviews of the 3 finalists (including the winner) and to use the interviews or their contents in whole or in part as promotional materials.
- Any materials taken by THE ONE with any or all of the finalists (including the winner) including interviews, photographs and videos etc, remains the exclusive property of THE ONE
- The winner of THE ONE will act as a spokesperson for THE ONE, and may not represent any other award during their year of tenure as THE ONE winner.
- THE ONE Committee reserves all right to the following conditions:- Any candidate nominated for THE ONE can be removed from consideration for THE ONE if there is any misconduct or wrongdoing or scandal associated with his/her charity
- The spokesperson must demonstrate integrity and exemplify as a role model to others in the community. THE ONE reserves the right to suspend or terminate his/her role as a spokesperson for THE ONE, if the winner fails to maintain good standing during his/her term.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF ENDORSING ROTARY CLUB
- The Endorsing Rotary Club should be responsible to ensure that all the contents submitted for their nomination is true and correct.
- The Endorsing Rotary Club should read the nomination documents carefully and ensure the candidate and the nominator have a full understanding on the award criteria, eligibility and responsibilities of being a Candidate, an Award Recipient and a Finalist.
- The Endorsing Rotary Club will act as the liaison party between THE ONE (Int’l) and the Candidate, and assist if any communication problem occurs.
- If his/her Candidate becomes a Finalist of THE ONE (Int’l), the Endorsing Rotary Club should also assist their Nominee to complete the proposal and reports as required by the stewardship sub-committee.
- The Endorsing Rotary Club has the duty and obligation to oversee and ensure that the prize money given by THE ONE (Int’l) to the Winner and Finalists is used in accordance with the approval given by us. The Endorsing Rotary Club’s duty is to ensure that due diligence is carried out
- Completed nomination forms with all supporting documents should be sent to THE ONE, a project by Rotary District 3450 Organising Committee, Rotary Information Centre, 14/F Capital Commercial Building, 26 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31stDecember 2017.
Late or incomplete nomination forms will not be considered
- Each Rotary Club is eligible to nominate more than one candidate.
- A complete nomination will include the nomination form, a CV or resume and a “Humanity Service Description Form” (to be downloaded from THE ONE website), candidate’s passport/ traveling document or ID copy and a digital or print photograph of the candidate.
- All nominations must be endorsed by a Rotary Club.
- Nominations must include the specified ‘Humanity Service Description Form’ that highlights the following points. Answers for the following questions should be limited to 1,000 words:
- How does the candidate give totally to the cause every day?
- How does the candidate dedicate to the improvement of mankind?
- How does his/her work advocate to humanity?
- How does he/she work for the highest standard of good?
- How did he/she promote integrity and advanced world understanding, goodwill, and peace through his/her humanitarian efforts?
Supplementary documentation or material is highly desirable. (i.e. 1-2 video clips, 10-15 photos in service and a few links to articles, financial Statement/audited financial reports in the past two years etc.) Semi-finalists and Finalists will all be required to submit supplementary documentation.
- For written supplementary information, please limit to five pages only.
- All nomination forms that are submitted by email should be submitted in a word document format or PDF. All photo materials that are submitted online should be submitted as a JPEG or TIF of no less than 1MB.
- Electronic submissions are highly encouraged.
- THE ONE Organising Committee reserves the right to verify a candidate’s service achievements through all means including the references submitted by the candidate
- The decision of THE ONE organising committee and Rotary International District 3450 shall be final and conclusive on all matters related to the nomination.
- Should there be any discrepancy between or dispute arising from the English and any other language versions of these nomination guidelines, the English version shall apply and prevail.
- Failure to comply with the nomination guidelines can result in penalisation of the candidate.
In order to ensure a fair and rigorous judging process, the Organising Committee has established a three-tiered judging system. Judges in all three panels comprise of volunteers who have signed confidentiality agreements.
To guarantee the authenticity of all information provided by the candidates, all applications must be endorsed by a Rotary club and signed off by the then current president of the endorsing club. The Organising Committee has also performed additional checks to verify the information provided.
- Candidates, their nominators or related persons to the candidate are not permitted to communicate directly with any of the appointed judges of the judging panels. This ban allows judges to score candidates fairly based only on the official materials presented to them.
- All candidates’ interviews will be conducted in the same format of a Skype interview regardless of the candidate’s residing location.
AWARD PRIZE RELEASE PROCEDURES
Please download “Summary of the criteria to be observed by the Selected Finalists of THE ONE” here
Please download “THE ONE – Project Progress & Final Report” here